CESIS – Centro de Estudos para a Intervenção Social, Portugal
Isabel Baptista is Senior Researcher with twenty years poverty and social exclusion research experience, with particular expertise in homelessness. She has also extensive research experience in the area of domestic violence. She represents Portugal in the European Observatory on Homelessness under the auspices of FEANTSA and is a member of the editorial team of the European Journal of Homelessness. She is also a member of the EU Network of Independent Experts on Social Inclusion. She participated in the inter-agency team which prepared the first National Homelessness Strategy in Portugal, approved in 2009. She has coordinated and participated in several research projects – at the local, national and European level – on the topic of domestic violence. She has also worked extensively with service providers and local authorities in the implementation and assessment of local strategies to fight domestic violence.
Recent research projects
- Portuguese expert in the Network of independent experts on social inclusion, since 2004.
- National Correspondent for the European Observatory on Homelessness (FEANTSA), since 2003.
- Coordinator of transnational project INASC – Improving Needs Assessment and Victim’s Support in Domestic Violence related Criminal Proceedings (2014-2016), financed by DGJustice.
- Coordinator of the Portuguese Annual Contribution for The European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights’ (FRA) Annual report 2011 and 2013.
- Independent expert responsible for the preparation of the discussion paper on the “Pathway to Home Model of Homeless and Housing Support Services in Dublin” in the HABITACT Peer Review on Homelessness policies in Dublin, held in Dublin on April 2013.
- National Coordinator of the Study on the Evaluation of Local Responses to Domestic Violence in the municipality of Cascais, promoted by the Municipality of Cascais (2013).
- National coordinator of the project mARCA on the implementation of the model of outcome evaluation in women’s refuges in Portugal, promoted by the Comission for Citizenship and Equal Opportunities (2013).
- National discussant in the Peer Review “Building a comprehensive and participative strategy on homelessness”, held in Lisbon on November 2010.
- National team leader on the EC “Study on ‘Housing Exclusion: Welfare Policies, Housing Provision and Labour Markets”, coordinated by the University of York (2010).
- National expert for Social Housing component of the EU study on Social Services of General Interest, coordinated by Bernard Brunhes International (2010).
- National expert for Eurochild’s 2009 review of the 2008-2010 National Strategy Reports on Social Protection and Social Inclusion.
- Co-ordinator of the transnational Project: R.E.M. (Refuges’ Evaluation Modelling), Daphne Programme (2006-2007).
Isabel Baptista (2014) Re-inventing Soft Governance Mechanisms in the Field of Social Inclusion: Learning from the Europeanisation of Homelessness Policy?, in European Journal of Homelessness, vol. 8. (2), pp. 261-269. http://www.feantsaresearch.org/spip.php?article337&lang=en
Baptista, Isabel (coord.), Silva, Ana Paula e Quintal, Eudelina (2014) Avaliação das respostas junto das vítimas de Violência Doméstica (Evaluating local services responses to Domestic Violence survivors). Lisbon: CESIS/Fórum Municipal de Cascais contra a Violência Doméstica. http://www.cm-cascais.pt/sites/default/files/anexos/gerais/new/relatorio_final_conclusoes_recomendacoes_2_0.pdf
Baptista, Isabel & Figueiredo, Elsa (2014) Prevenção da Violência nas relações de intimidade juvenil: guião para docentes e outros agentes educativos (Preventing dating violence amongst youngsters: toolkit for teachers and other education agents). Projeto Rede Segura. Cascais: Câmara Municipal de Cascais.
Baptista, Isabel , Silva, Alexandra & Silva, Mário Jorge (2013) mARCA – Resultados da implementação do modelo de avaliação de resultados (mARCA – Final report on the implementation of the outcome evaluation model in women’s refuges). Lisboa: Cooperactiva/CIG/POPH.
Baptista, Isabel , Silva, Alexandra & Silva, Mário Jorge (2013) Portfolio de recursos de apoio à intervenção com mulheres vítimas de violência doméstica em situação de acolhimento temporário (Resource portfolio for supporting refuges’ work with women experiencing domestic violence). Lisboa: Cooperactiva/CIG/POPH.
Baptista, Isabel (2013) “The First Portuguese Homelessness Strategy: Progress and Obstacles”, in European Journal of Homelessness, vol. 7 (2), December 2013, pp. 87-107.
Pleace, Nicholas, Baptista, Isabel et al (2013) The Costs of Homelessness in Europe – An assessment of the Current Evidence Base. EOH Comparative Studies on Homelessness. Brussels: FEANTSA.
Baptista, Isabel (2013) PEER REVIEW on Homelessness Policies in Dublin – Discussion Paper. Brussels: HABITACT European Exchange Forum on Local Homeless Strategies. http://www.habitact.eu/files/activity/peerreview/_discussionpaper_dublin2013.pdf
Baptista, Isabel et al. (2012) Counting Homeless People in the 2011 Housing and Population Census. EOH Comparative Studies on Homelessness. Brussels: FEANTSA.
Baptista, Isabel (2010) “Women and Homelessness in Europe” in O’Sullivan, E., Busch-Geertsema, V. Quilgars, D. and Nicholas Pleace (eds.) Homelessness Research in Europe: Festschrift for Bill Edgar and Joe Doherty. Brussels: FEANTSA.
Baptista, Isabel and Perista, Pedro (2010) Study on Housing Exclusion: Welfare Policies, Housing Provision and Labour Markets – Country Report for Portugal. http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/chp/publications/PDF/EUExclusion/Portugal.pdf
Baptista, Isabel (2009) “The Drafting of the Portuguese Homeless Strategy: an Insight into the Process from a Governance Oriented Perspective”, in European Journal of Homelessness, vol. 3, December 2009, pp. 53-74.
Sullivan, Cris, Baptista, Isabel et al (2008) Evaluating the Effectiveness of Women’s Refuges: A Multi-Country Approach to Model Development, in International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, Fall 2008, vol. 32, nº 2.
Baptista, Isabel e O’Sullivan, Eoin (2008) “The Role of the State in Developing Homeless Strategies: Portugal and Ireland in Comparative Perspective, in European Journal of Homelessness, vol. 2, December 2008, pp. 25-43.
Perista, Pedro e Baptista, Isabel (2007) Portugal: the sense of home. In Elsinga, De Decker, Teller e Toussaint (eds) Home ownership beyond asset and security – perceptions of housing related security and insecurity in eight European countries. Amsterdam: IOS Press/Delft University Press: 201-224.